Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Channeling Great Grandpa Jorge?!


I have recently observed an amazing behavior in my son: On several occasions, while driving in the car, Tiago has made it quite clear that he does not like being strapped into a car seat. During one particularly difficult protest, an old Peruvian song (Jose Antonio), came on and immediately halted Tiago's wailing. Thinking it was a fluke, I jokingly commented that he must have been channeling his late bis-abuelo Jorge. However, when the song ended and his crying resumed, I thought twice. I re-played the song, and again he quieted. "Surely, he must have fallen asleep?" The song ended and once more, he began his protest. Over the next couple of car-rides, whenever he began to cry I played Jose Antonio (a love song for Peru's coastal, criolla, culture) he would stop crying. This week, I decided to set up the camera on the bed, near his co-sleeper (as previously mentioned, Tiago has not been napping successfully). I found Tiago's response to Chabuca Granda's Jose Antonio absolutely fascinating. You'll have to take my word that when the song ended, he resumed crying and upon repeat of the song, he stopped. When I played a different song, it did not have the same effect. I like to think that my grandfather Jorge La Serna is watching his great-grandson Tiago Jorge, and chuckling, "Que hermoso es mi chalan."
...Now, if only we could find a song that would put Tiago to sleep!

2 comments:

  1. This is silly!

    Hey, have you tried a little blanky for him? I have been using burp clothes because they are so small. There are some really small ones by Carter's. They helped Eli sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And he has such expressive eyebrows! So cute!

    ReplyDelete